15 September 2009

British Newspapers 19th century at Gale/Cengage

From a press release I received in my email:

"Farmington Hills, MI, September 10, 2009 – Gale, part of Cengage Learning, along with The British Library and the Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC), have made nineteenth-century British newspapers available on the internet. The database, known as “British Newspapers, 1800-1900” and available at http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/, gives users access to over two million newspaper pages from 49 different national and regional newspapers from England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Chosen by leading experts and academics, the newspapers represent a cross-section of nineteenth-century society and contain illustrated materials on a variety of topics, including business, sports, politics and entertainment."

Readers know that I'm not a big fan of copy a press release and call it an article or a blog entry. This is to let readers know that I've got access to this database and will be searching it for my wife's English forebears over the next few weeks.

Readers who have questions about this database can fire off an email to me at mjnrootdig@gmail.combefore I make the blog post with my report and I'll see if I can get the answer!