31 March 2012

Second World War 2 Registration Asks Father's Place of Birth

I've never looked at World War I draft registration cards as closely as I should have. There were three registrations. The second one is the focus of this post as the card contained something I had never really noticed--probably because I don't have that many close relatives whose age qualified them for it.

The second registration, on 5 June  1918, registered those who attained age 21 after 5 June  1917.  These men were born between 1896-1897.  A supplemental registration was held on 24 August 24 191, for those becoming 21 years old after 5 June 1918.  These cards are included in the second registration cards.


The World War I draft cards which are online at Ancestry.com (World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 and at FamilySearch (World War I Draft Registration Cards 1917-1918).

The card in this post is one of those rare few that's not for a relative. 

3 comments:

Ann said...

I made a huge breakthrough by re-reading my grandfather's WW I draft registration card. After I had had it in my possession for a couple of years I found it contained the name of his mother who had remarried, something my mother never knew or told me. That lead to finding her her death record which had the names of her parents. Moral: re-read, re-read, re-read.

Ann said...

I made a huge breakthrough when I re-read my grandfather's WW I draft registration card. After I had had it in my possession for a couple of years I found it contained the name of his mother who had remarried, something my mother never knew or told me. That lead to finding her her death record which had the names of her parents. Moral: re-read, re-read, re-read.

Eileen said...

I got very lucky. My grandfather filled out one of the WWI 2nd draft cards and listed the county in England where his father was born. This clue let me find my great-grandfather and his parents in England and track their passage to the US. Although his parents were Irish, they were married in England and all their children were born there, so I was able to obtain copies of the records from the GRO.

i wish more of my relatives had filled out this card. (sigh..)