04 November 2014

In the Very Thickest of the Fight

I recently purchased on Amazon.com a copy of  In the Very Thickest of the Fight: The Civil War Service Of The 78Th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

The 78th was the unit in which my ancestor Riley Rampley and one of his brothers served. There's little chance either of the lowly privates are mentioned, so I'm not expecting a great amount of new information specific to Riley. However, I'm hoping to take the few details of his service that are mentioned in his pension record and see if there is any corroborating information in the text. And there may always be unexpected additional background material in the text as well.

How did I find the book?

I simply searched on Amazon.com for "78th infantry."  Now there are a few more I need to look for as well.