14 February 2015

Which Great-Grandchild Are You?

Regular readers know that I'm not a big fan of writing prompts, memes, or other activities that I loosely categorize as "busy work." I've got a long list of things to write about as it is, don't really follow the crowd in any way shape or form, and usually need to see a reason behind doing just about any activity.

But...

I got to thinking about my great-grandparents and their great-grandchildren the other day. I realized that in my attempt to document the deceased, I really, out of personal preference, don't document the living as much as other genealogists do.

In the case of two sets of great-grandparents, I know (off the top of my head) where I fit in the age order of all their great-grandchildren.


  • Fred (1893-1960) and Tena (Janssen) (1895-1986) Ufkes--I'm the oldest great-grandchild. In fact for nearly twenty years, my brother and I were their only great-grandchildren. 
  • Charlie (1875-1948) and Fannie (Rampley) (1883-1965) Neill--I'm their third oldest great-grandchild. Two of my first cousins are the oldest great-grandchildren and then there's me. At least I'm pretty certain.
  • George (1869-1934) and Ida (Sargent) (1874-1939) Trautvetter. I'm not certain where I fit into the age order of great-grandchildren. 
  • Mimka (1881-1969) and Tjode (Goldenstein) 1882-1954) Habben. I'm even less certain where I fit into their list of great-grandchildren. 
Do you know where you fit in your great-grandparents' list?

Something else to add to my to-do list (grin!).

No comments: